Jerzy Drozd Basses Forum Index Jerzy Drozd Basses
The Bass Art Company

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic 4 "Custom order"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jerzy Drozd Basses Forum Index -> Testimonials -NEW!-
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Basic 4 "Custom order" Reply with quote

Hi to all the owners (or not) of a Jerzy Drozd Bass!
I've opened a new topic because in the future i'll surely post some pics of the beauty i've ordered from Jerzy's workshop...I've not received the bass yet, but it's on the way to my home, so i'm fu**in' waitinnnnnnnnn'!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
For my personal review, well, i'm not a big expert in playing bass: it's been 6 years now that i've started this adventure.
But in this days i'm gonna partecipate to a "luthier teaching lessons" to build my own neck-thru bass, so maybe i'll be able to evaluate the fine craftmanship of this basses... Very Happy
I'm a devoted supporter of the Jerzy's art, so maybe my analisys would be a little bit in favour of him. But don't worry: I promise i'll try to find the defects or imperfections (if there are)!
Bye bye, i've got to go now!
Stay tuned for other delucidations...

Twisted Evil Trevor. Twisted Evil
Trevor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: My personal review Reply with quote

Ok guys, i'm back to fill this topic with pics and impressions about my bass, a Jerzy Drozd Obsession Basic 4.
I know, i know, you usually see some 9,10,12 strings basses made by Jerzy, or some 36 frets, but i must assure you that my bass is a real big deal!
Just one year ago i've been at the Jerzy's workshop in Barcelona, because i was there for holiday with my friends and i wanted to meet the Boss. Very Happy
So, talking with him and Xavi they both told me that the bass that will fits my personal musical taste was the Basic, because it shares the same construction, woods and electronics of an Excellency (except for the top).
So i ordered this Basic 4 in october of 2008 and now i've got it my own hands and the first thing in my head was: "Wow, i finally got it!"
I'm very happy and very lucky to be one proud possessor of a Jerzy Drozd bass.

Jerzy told us to say (in this forum part) what we think about his basses. I can start telling one thing: every person that buy a Jerzy Drozd love his basses, that's for sure!

So, let's begin with the optionals i've ordered for that axe:

custom body wood made with Maple central block + Swamp Ash wings;
custom bright green colour + matching headstock;
miniswitch for midrange frequencies (400-800 Hz);
miniswitch for active/passive option;
passive tone control;
dot inlays on top of fingerboard;
fingerboard, pickups covers, and knobs made in Maple.
The other options are from a standard Basic...

And now the pics. I'm not very expert in Forums, but if all you guys will tell me some tricks, you'll be welcome!
Ps: excuse me for the quality of the pics, but i made'em with my mobile... Embarassed
Pps: excuse me for the background in the pics, but i was on my balcony, near the place where my cats do their "needs".... Very Happy

Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/220520091011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/220520091012.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/250520091039.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/250520091040.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/250520091041.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/250520091050.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/250520091059.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/250520091055.jpg[/img]

I hope you like it guys, because i love it!
If you find this pics a s**t for their resolution, you can see my album online at the address:

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/

My apologies, but i must be out in a short time.... Confused
I'm late! Confused Confused Confused
For the Review i'll post a new thread in the next few days....
Goodbye, for now!
Ciaoooooooooooooooo from Italy!!!!!!!!

Twisted Evil Trevor Twisted Evil
DrCarver

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Very Happy
Trevor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DrCarver"]Congratulations! She is beautiful! Very Happy[/quote]

Thanks DrCarver, but i think that your 6 strings is one of the best bass i've ever seen!
When i saw it in LAG website, as "custom order" not for sale, i thought:
"who's the lucky one that got it?"
And now i know that's you, and all i can say is: you're very lucky, man!

Stay BassTastic!

Darren

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice bass! Good to see four strings again. Very Happy
Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Hi Darren! Reply with quote

[quote="Darren"]That's a very nice bass! Good to see four strings again. Very Happy[/quote]

Yeah! That's right Darren!
In my humble opinion, the 5th string is a little world of possibilities and combinations added to the normal and infinite 4 strings-24 frets....

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Review Reply with quote

Hi, i'm back for my personal review of my Jerzy Drozd Basic 4 "custom order".
Let's start saying that it's the best sounding, defined and growling bass i've ever had or played in this few 7 years that i'm starting playing the bass.
The experience of Jerzy Drozd in building ERB (Extended Range Bass), can be found in the sustain and the growl of the E string: it plays wonderful and is always defined. All the four strings plays great, expecially with chords or tapping: but the pleasure that i have playing the E string pushes me to play more notes on this string instead of the other three... Very Happy
Then I'm really enjoying the maple fretboard: it's very clear and brilliant with treble. It's ideal for slapping and tapping, and the passive tone control enhance all this technics: it acts like a smooth of the trebles, you don't need to worry about the feedback or extra-noise on frets when you're tapping. The passive tone control works very well, in my humble opinion. Obviously if i were a better bassplayer i wouldn't have to worry about noises or feedbacks from frets when playing Confused Confused Confused
Then we arrive at the two switches: the active / passive and the mid-freq one. I think this image could help:

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/Bajo-Andrea-detalles.jpg[/img]

The active tone if powerful and always comfortable, whereas the passive tone is not too low.
The mid-freq gives you many and many possibilities with the range changing from 400 to 800 Hz: from more defined low tones on mids for the 400 Hz, to the high tones on mids with the 800 hz...But the worst thing, as i sad, is the definition of this instrument in every combination of EQ or blend or volume: It's simply incredible, really and the single coil pickups are noiseless and sounds stable and clear.
The blend is very modulable, from the neck pickup to the bridge one. Only using the blend control you can obtain many combinations of sound.
I can spend pages and pages writing about the sound possibilities derived melting mid-freq switch, blend and Aguilar onboard EQ, but this is not for me now, i don't have so much time to spend.
And finally the look of the bass, for my personal taste is awesome! And this is another reason why i choose Jerzy as builder of my dream bass: the complete customisation of his models, in this case a Basic.
Someone in this Forum said: "the only Basic thing on this bass is the name..." I think it's the perfect definition for my bass.
I don't care about super body woods or stunning tops, because if the bass will be too much beautiful, maybe it must be put behind a glass window instead of shredding and dig it every time you want!
I like very much the precious and precise creations of Jerzy Drozd, but maybe those basses are too much perfect to be played. That's the reason why i like the new concept idea of his single-cut model: "a bass for real bassplayer", just the way my bass is for me.

So, the conclusion is: if you're searching for an instrument with personality and precision, with sound that goes out of bounds, buy a Jerzy Drozd bass and you'll never get disappointed!

Bye to all the Jerzy Drozd owners community!
And thanks Jerzy to build such a superb instruments!

tattoed_soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote]... the conclusion is: if you're searching for an instrument with personality and precision, with sound that goes out of bounds, buy a Jerzy Drozd bass and you'll never get disappointed![/quote]

This is the reason I'm saving for a JD bass. Great Review, Thanks.
Steve513

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good review, and it pretty much mirror's my feelings about Jerzy's fine instruments.
Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i'm just saying the truth!

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote]This is the reason I'm saving for a JD bass...[/quote]

What model are you thinking about?
Jerzy Drozd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote="Trevor"]Hi, i'm back for my personal review of my Jerzy Drozd Basic 4 "custom order".
Let's start saying that it's the best sounding, defined and growling bass i've ever had or played in this few 7 years that i'm starting playing the bass.
The experience of Jerzy Drozd in building ERB (Extended Range Bass), can be found in the sustain and the growl of the E string: it plays wonderful and is always defined. All the four strings plays great, expecially with chords or tapping: but the pleasure that i have playing the E string pushes me to play more notes on this string instead of the other three... Very Happy
Then I'm really enjoying the maple fretboard: it's very clear and brilliant with treble. It's ideal for slapping and tapping, and the passive tone control enhance all this technics: it acts like a smooth of the trebles, you don't need to worry about the feedback or extra-noise on frets when you're tapping. The passive tone control works very well, in my humble opinion. Obviously if i were a better bassplayer i wouldn't have to worry about noises or feedbacks from frets when playing Confused Confused Confused
Then we arrive at the two switches: the active / passive and the mid-freq one. I think this image could help:

[img]http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/666Trevor666/Bajo-Andrea-detalles.jpg[/img]

The active tone if powerful and always comfortable, whereas the passive tone is not too low.
The mid-freq gives you many and many possibilities with the range changing from 400 to 800 Hz: from more defined low tones on mids for the 400 Hz, to the high tones on mids with the 800 hz...But the worst thing, as i sad, is the definition of this instrument in every combination of EQ or blend or volume: It's simply incredible, really and the single coil pickups are noiseless and sounds stable and clear.
The blend is very modulable, from the neck pickup to the bridge one. Only using the blend control you can obtain many combinations of sound.
I can spend pages and pages writing about the sound possibilities derived melting mid-freq switch, blend and Aguilar onboard EQ, but this is not for me now, i don't have so much time to spend.
And finally the look of the bass, for my personal taste is awesome! And this is another reason why i choose Jerzy as builder of my dream bass: the complete customisation of his models, in this case a Basic.
Someone in this Forum said: "the only Basic thing on this bass is the name..." I think it's the perfect definition for my bass.
I don't care about super body woods or stunning tops, because if the bass will be too much beautiful, maybe it must be put behind a glass window instead of shredding and dig it every time you want!
I like very much the precious and precise creations of Jerzy Drozd, but maybe those basses are too much perfect to be played. That's the reason why i like the new concept idea of his single-cut model: "a bass for real bassplayer", just the way my bass is for me.

So, the conclusion is: if you're searching for an instrument with personality and precision, with sound that goes out of bounds, buy a Jerzy Drozd bass and you'll never get disappointed!

Bye to all the Jerzy Drozd owners community!
And thanks Jerzy to build such a superb instruments!

Twisted Evil Trevor Twisted Evil[/quote]

Hi Trevor,

wow you did great job with that electronic layout scheme Smile

Jerzy
Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jerzy, thank you for your compliments but this scheme was made by Joaquìn from Doctorbass.net.... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I think it's a great chance to let other people know about the functions of the full-optional electronic system that you can equip on your basses...I know that there are no Piezos or MIDI, but i think this configuration it's pretty difficult to utilize if you're not an expert!
I wrote it on my review: this bass has no (sound) bounds!
Thank you for your attention!

buddha Long

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Beautiful Bass Reply with quote

I am very impressed with the look of this bass - You are to be congratulated Trevor, excellent choice. I have yet to play a Jerzy Drozd but it would seem from all accounts that they are among the tiny group of instruments at the very top end. Every one I've seen has its own majesty.
Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beautiful Bass Reply with quote

[quote="buddha Long"]I am very impressed with the look of this bass[/quote]

Thank you very much buddha Long. I'm more impressed than you because i got it in my house!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

[quote="buddha Long"]You are to be congratulated Trevor, excellent choice.[/quote]

Thank you again, we share the same tastes!
I'll wait in the future to see your custom Jerzy Drozd bass...
Stay tuned!

tattoed_soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote="Trevor"][quote]This is the reason I'm saving for a JD bass...[/quote]

What model are you thinking about?[/quote]

Hey Trevor,
Sorry for the extremely delayed response.

A [b]Legend[/b] 5 string fretless bass, 34 scale with 16mm string spacing at the bridge... in a future not so distant (I hope)...
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote="tattoed_soul"]A [b]Legend[/b] 5 string fretless bass, 34 scale with 16mm string spacing at the bridge... in a future not so distant (I hope)...[/quote]

Wow, an extremely beautiful and precise bass, as all the JD of course! Wink
Personally i prefer the 33' scale instead of 34', because it gives a little soloist behaviour to the bass...But these things goes with personal taste!
Congratulation for your choice, and remember to post a full review with some pics when you got it!
Thanks for your friendship. Bye!

Skactus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote="tattoed_soul"][quote]... the conclusion is: if you're searching for an instrument with personality and precision, with sound that goes out of bounds, buy a Jerzy Drozd bass and you'll never get disappointed![/quote]

This is the reason I'm saving for a JD bass. Great Review, Thanks.[/quote]

+1 Smile I've quit smoking so I can quickly afford for one JD bass... Smile

Great looking bass Trevor! I'm wondering how it looks a light orange color with ebony fretboard, pickup covers and knobs...

Your absolutely right... I've tried out some Jerzy Drozd basses myself and they sound simply amazing... I would love to have a Mastery V...

Congrats Wink

Taborda
Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote="Skactus"]Great looking bass Trevor! I'm wondering how it looks a light orange color with ebony fretboard, pickup covers and knobs...[/quote]

Hey, thank you very much Skactus! I'm happy you enjoy my custom bass!

The light orange colour, also known as "Amber", it's one of the best colour i've seen on a Jerzy Drozd bass, maybe matched with an AAAAA Flamed maple Top! Drool
However i don't really like Ebony, as you can see on my bass Laughing ...In any case i think that if you'll buy a JD you'll never get disappointed and it'll looks stunning and amazing, from the Basic to the Signature passing through the Legend!

[quote="Skactus"]I would love to have a Mastery V...[/quote]

I think it's impossible if you're searching for a new one. That's because the Mastery it's been discontinued since april, or may if i remember correctly. Now the Mastery has been melted to the Excellency model as a Neck-thru option of it.
You may try to search it as a used one, or ex-demo. But it's really difficult to find out a Mastery in used conditions all around the world. Then the chances becomes nearly impossible if you're searching for a used Mastery with your personal specs (Amber colour, Ebony fretboard with matching knobs, etc. etc...).
In my humble opinion i can assure you that you can afford a similar "neck-thru behaviour" bass if you buy a bolt-on neck like mine. As you can see on my review and pics, the bass i've ordered has a Maple neck that fits into a "Maple central block + Swamp Ash wings" body. You can order a ugual bass with an Ebony fretboard and the game is done!
I must notice a transmission of sound into the wood that has nothing to envy to the neck-thru construction; a sound full of sustain, growly and punchy for the bass rates, cannon effect for the mid rates, mwah and "jazz-bass" style for the treble, but always, always, always ULTRA-DEFINED! Shocked (i don't understand how JD can do it...)
Well, in conlusion i hope i made my part in your final decision.
Bye bye from Italy!

Skactus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote="Trevor"][quote="Skactus"]Great looking bass Trevor! I'm wondering how it looks a light orange color with ebony fretboard, pickup covers and knobs...[/quote]

Hey, thank you very much Skactus! I'm happy you enjoy my custom bass!

The light orange colour, also known as "Amber", it's one of the best colour i've seen on a Jerzy Drozd bass, maybe matched with an AAAAA Flamed maple Top! Drool
However i don't really like Ebony, as you can see on my bass Laughing ...In any case i think that if you'll buy a JD you'll never get disappointed and it'll looks stunning and amazing, from the Basic to the Signature passing through the Legend!
[/quote]

Sure, actually, I'm a proud owner of a Sadowsky Metro Modern M5-24 (photo at my avatar) fitted with a maple fingerboard. That's why right now I'm thinking about a ebony fretboard.

Indeed, I think Amber is one of the colors that fit my personal taste rather than any other.

If I choose the bass to be colored, shall be amber, however I appreciate no color at all as well...

[quote="Trevor"]
[quote="Skactus"]I would love to have a Mastery V...[/quote]

I think it's impossible if you're searching for a new one. That's because the Mastery it's been discontinued since april, or may if i remember correctly. Now the Mastery has been melted to the Excellency model as a Neck-thru option of it.[/quote]

Yes, that's true, but I still have my secret desire that, when I win Euromillions lottery, Jerzy would be able to open an exception for me Very Happy

[quote="Trevor"]You may try to search it as a used one, or ex-demo. But it's really difficult to find out a Mastery in used conditions all around the world. Then the chances becomes nearly impossible if you're searching for a used Mastery with your personal specs (Amber colour, Ebony fretboard with matching knobs, etc. etc...).
[/quote]

Yes, that's true, but i don't think I would buy an used one, neither an ex-demo.

Actually, I'm already focusing on a Basic colored or a Excellency not colored (bolt on or neck through).

[quote="Trevor"]
In my humble opinion i can assure you that you can afford a similar "neck-thru behaviour" bass if you buy a bolt-on neck like mine. As you can see on my review and pics, the bass i've ordered has a Maple neck that fits into a "Maple central block + Swamp Ash wings" body. You can order a ugual bass with an Ebony fretboard and the game is done!
I must notice a transmission of sound into the wood that has nothing to envy to the neck-thru construction; a sound full of sustain, growly and punchy for the bass rates, cannon effect for the mid rates, mwah and "jazz-bass" style for the treble, but always, always, always ULTRA-DEFINED! Shocked (i don't understand how JD can do it...)
Well, in conlusion i hope i made my part in your final decision.
Bye bye from Italy!

Twisted Evil Trevor Twisted Evil[/quote]

Never tried a JD with that kind of construction but looks like a great idea to me! Smile

Well, unfortunately I wont be able to afford one JD bass this year and probably neither in 2010. My math predicts that I'll be able to order an JD in 2010 to receive the bass in Feb 2011 (by the time of my 25th birthday).

Until that day, I'll have to keep dreaming and gigging Very Happy

Ciau

Taborda
Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

[quote="Skactus"]Indeed, I think Amber is one of the colors that fit my personal taste rather than any other.

If I choose the bass to be colored, shall be amber, however I appreciate no color at all as well...[/quote]

Let me imagine a Basic exactly the same as mine, but in Amber colouration........The only thing i can say is: WWWOOOOWWW!
You got it man! It's gonna be stunning! Shocked Shocked Shocked
The only reason why i choose Transparent Green is that's my favourite colour above all. But the Amber, Ahhhhh!!! That's really gorgeous!
Keep on that way!
Skactus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really understand why you have chosen green. My favorite color is blue, that's the color you can see at my avatar Wink
Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Trace Elliot amplifier:
http://jerzydrozdbasses.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=284

Skactus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile i use Euphonic Audio amplificaton. Do you know it?

[img]http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/100/l_5af69718feea4cdd970e417814ea4a52.jpg[/img]
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard about it...
How do it works?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jerzy Drozd Basses Forum Index -> Testimonials -NEW!- All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: